4-5DS Blogs

Looking at Text Types

July 31, 2013 · 6 Comments · Finding Out, In The Classroom

We have been talking about and comparing text types. All texts are different and an author will choose different types depending on the purpose of their writing.

Some texts are persuasive. The author of the text would like to influence your thinking. Some examples of persuasive texts are expositions, letters to the editor, advertisements, reviews and online forum discussions.

Image from Live to Learn;Learn to Teach

Some texts are informative. The author of the text would like to teach or explain to their reader. Informative texts do not try to influence the reader but just provide information. We use the word non-fiction to help describe these text types. Some examples of informative texts are recounts, newspaper articles, reports, encyclopaedia entries, instruction manuals and descriptions.

Image from Live to Learn;Learn to Teach

Some texts are imaginative. The author of the text would like to entertain their reader. Another word we use to describe imaginative texts is fiction. These texts use made-up characters and events and can also involve magical ideas such as talking animals. They can be based on real life events and people.

Image from Live to Learn; Learn to Teach

Sometimes an author might use the style of an informative text with a topic that is not real. Our class are working on informative texts but we are using an imaginary creature as the topic for our report.

What do you think is an important feature of an informative text? How might it be set out? What grammatical features will we need to use? Please leave a comment to tell us some of the things we will need to remember when we are writing an information report.

Tags:·

6 Comments

• max.r

Hello class and Bloggers,
    I expect informative text to be something that is real.
    I don’t expect informative text to be something that is made up.

From Max.R :)

• Mrs S

Hi Max

Thanks for your comment. It is great to see how well you have proofread your comment before clicking submit. I have seen some great informative text that are all about a fictional character. They are still information texts because of the way they have been set out with headings, subheadings, an introduction and paragraphs.
      One great information text that I have read is called Working with Dragons – A Course in Dragonology by Ernest Drake. The topic, dragons, is fiction but the style of the book is an information report. Have you seen this book?

regards
      Mrs S

• Sam

Hi everyone,

I think an important feature of text is paragraphs and correct punctuation.

Sam

• Georgie

Hi class,
    Well I think a very important part of a informative text would be it would be all fact. It may also need diagrams and headings.I also think it would be set out in paragraphs.

yours truly,
    Georgie

• Mrs S

Thanks for leaving a great comment on our blog, Georgie.

Paragraphs are important in all of the writing that we read. In an information report paragraphs help us to search for the most important information easily. The first sentence will state the fact that is being described and then the rest of the paragraph will give supporting detail about this one fact.

You also mentioned that an information report will have diagrams. I think that often these would also be labelled to help a reader find the most important ideas easily. What do you think?

Mrs S

• Jordan

Hello
    I think that they need to persuade the reader. To make the reader want to read their book.

From Jordan