4-5DS Blogs

Same Sound, Different Meanings, Different Spelling – Homophones

August 28, 2013 · 25 Comments · Spelling

Over the last few weeks we have been talking about and creating lists of homophones. These very tricky words can trap us when we are writing because they sound the same but have different meanings and are spelt differently.

One of the ways we try to spell words that we might not be sure about is to listen for the sounds we hear. It can be very useful for lots of words but not for homophones. With homophones we need to know the meaning of each word so that we are able to use the right word for the sentence we are writing.

homophone

The more we looked the more homophones we found. Some jokes and riddles use homophones and Mrs S shared some of these from a book called Eight Ate written by Marvin Terban.

Please leave a comment sharing a sentence using homophones. Which homophone tricks you the most? How do you try to remember it? Do you know any riddles that use homophones to share with us?

Tags:·

25 Comments

• Max H

Hi bloggers,
    I get stuck on there,their and they’re because there is 3 and all start with th. I think deer and dear are easy to do right. What do you think is easy to do right?

• Elizabeth

Hello Amy
    I think that the homophones that trick me most are there, their and they’re. I don’t know exactly why though. I think it must be because there are so many.
    You said you get mixed up with them too. Do you know why you do?
    Bye
    Elizabeth

• Ava

Hi Lucy,
    I find whale and wail hard too.
    I also find to and too hard. I just have to remember that the too means I think that too and that to means to go somewhere.

I dont think I know any riddles and use homophones either.

Kind regards,
    Ava.

• Georgie

Hi class and bloggers,

I have lots of sentences to share with you with homophones in them.Like… there was a lady who baked a cake with eight eggs and when she finished she ate it.or There was a whale in the sea that made an awful wail.Also Where is the stuff I want to wear.I could go on and on but it would take way to much time

Also I think the homophone that tricks me the most is whether and weather.

yours truely,
    Georgie

• Sam

Hi Jordan

I get mixed up with the same thing sometimes.

I also get mixed up with lots of homophones like toe and tow, they, they’re and their.

From Sam

• Sabastian

Hello Class,

Yes we have been looking at homophones. Homophones are great for jokes, learning and fun.

There are also other groups of words like homophones but slightly different. There are homophones, homonyms and homographs.

Homophones are two different words that sound the same but are spelt differently and have different meanings.

Homographs are words that sound the same and are spelt the same but have different meanings.

Homonyms are words are spelt the same with different meanings and sound the same when you pronounce them.

My favourite homophone is bear and bare. My favourite homograph is rose and rose, my favourite homonym is hare and hare.

What is your favourite homophone, homograph and homonym? Why?

Happy Blogging :)

From Sabastian

• Max.R

Hi everyone,
    The sentence I thought of was: The whale wailed as he blew his nose in the blue sea. The homophone that tricks me the most is there, their and they’re.

Kind regards

Max.R :)

• Sam

Hi everyone

I think that the homophones that trip me up the most are witch, which, their, there and they’re.

My sentence is one day they had to go over there and played their toys.

I don’t know any riddles but my mum tells me lots of other riddles but I never can remember them for some reason.

From Sam

• Jess

Hi bloggers,

Yes, I agree that homophones can trap you, then it gets very annoying, not just for the writer, but also the reader.

A lot of jokes that use homophones can be a bit irritating!

Here is a sentence using homophones:
    The knight rode in the night on the road.
    The homophones that trick me the most would be strait and straight. I got them mixed up in a recent comment!
    I don’t have a certain way to remember it, I just do.
    I can think of any riddles or jokes that use any at the moment.

See you,
    Jess

• Thomas

Hey everyone!
    When we did the homophone challenge or whatever it was there were SO MANY HOMOPHONES! These arer some that I remember whail,whale, blew, blue, red, read, pear and pair. One that was quite tricky was mourning and morning. I really liked the jokes like: a pale pail and the blue blew. They are just some of them.
    Kind regards
    Thomas ;)

• Angus

Hi Class
    The homophones that trick me the the most are there, their and they’re and also too, to and two and also beet and beat.

I think homophones are just sometimes a bit hard especially the one’s that I mensheaned before. There is roughly 440 homophones in the english language and roughly 1000 homophones in the world.

I try and remember there, their and they’re by remembering that there has the word here in it so I know that there means over there.

This is a sentence that contains the three there’s in it: Is that their ball over there which they’re about to pick up?

Do you know any homophones?

Regards
    Angus

• Lucy

Hello bloggers,
    My sentence is… “look son the sun is out!”
    The homophone that tricks me the most is… whale and wail. I just think about the ocean for ‘whale’ and think about crying for ‘wail’.
    No, I don’t know any riddles that have homophones in them that I can share with you.

Kind Regards Lucy

• Zac

Hi class
    My sentence is… I only won one trophy.
    The homophone that tricks me the most is wail
    whale.
    Kind regards
    Zac

• Ben

Hi Zac
      I think that whale and wail are a hard homophone. I like your sentence… I only won one trophy.

From ben

• Emily

Dear Bloggers,

I love homophones. I have been collecting homophones and discovered there are about 450 homophones in the english language! Some homophones are really unusual, like caret carrot and carat, and some we see every day, like their, there and they’re.

I am not sure what homophone tricks me the most. Last year I forgot how to spell ‘which’ so I thought that it was ‘wich’ because of ‘sandwich’ which was so annoying.

I do know some riddles with homophones in them. Here is two, the first one says ‘Beware the gorilla spits. And he was.’ The trick in this is at the start. It says ‘Beware the gorilla spits.’ when it should be ‘Be where the gorilla spits.’ Another one has a homophone and a homograph in the same word. It is ‘Two ladies are in the bath and one lady says:’Wheres the soap?’ and the second lady says:’It does, doesn’t it?”. In this the trick is what the first lady says. She should say:’Wears the soap’.

Thanks
    Your Sincerely,

Emily

• james

Hello fellow bloggers

The homophone that tricks me the most is there,their,they’re.
    I try to remember it by their meanings.
    Which witch is which.

sincerly James

• lilly

Hi James
      Your comment is very good I think that you should be a write so you can write good books.

You did not have any questions why? I was going to answer it for you :-( do you like homophones?

From Lilly :-)

• rae

Hi class and bloggers,

Homophones are very easy to find, especially when you have been working on them for a while.

I have written a hole(whole) page of them. Sea (see) eye(I) just found won(one) just then.

All the videos our class looked at about homophones were a little bit weird and some a little bit funny.

Kind regards
    Rae

• Lucy

Hello Rae,
      Eye (I) like your sentence, it was very smart to do that with the brackets. I would have never thought of that! Yeah, just a little bit weird!

Kind Regards Lucy

• Ben

Hi everyone,

Homophones like there,their and the’re are annoying. Because when your writing a story and you say. Go get there ball. when it should be their ball it can happen very easy and fast.

The homophone that tricks me the most is cereal and serial. I try to remember it by thinking of the cereal that we eat and the serial killer.
    From Ben

• Amy

Hello Class and Fellow Bloggers

The homophones that used to trick me the most were their, there and they’re.

A sentence using homophones is: After we went to the sale we went for a sail.

Homophones are words that sound the same but are spelt differently and mean different things.

Whick homophones do you think are the hardest and why?

Regards
    Amy

• Jessie

Hi Amy,

I still sometimes get their, there and they’re mixed up, but not too often any more.

Here’s another sentence using homophones:
      The pale male got the pail and the mail.

Some homophones that are very hard could be ones that are hard to spell, like straight and strait, or sometimes the meanings with homographs, like saw, the tool and the past tense of see.

See you soon,
      Jess

• Max.R

Hi Amy,
      I think the homophone that tricks me the most is: there, their and they’re which is the same as you! It tricks me the most because I always forget which one is which. Why do you think its the hardest?

from Max.R :)

• Elizabeth

Hi Class
    I used to get mixed up with their, there and they’re. I have a sentence using all three; They’re
    running over there in their shoes.
    I also got mixed up with stationery and stationary, here is a sentence that uses both of them. I stood stationary when I saw the man rob the Stationery shop.
    Bye,
    Elizabeth

• Jordan

Hello class
    This is how I remember homophones because I try to remember what it looks like. And I get mixed up with two too to.

From Jordan